If you are completing a referral form using your Google Chrome browser, please key in phone numbers using the following format (parenthses around area code and dash between phone number sections): (___) ___-____
If you follow this format, the system will accept the referral forms. If you don't, a message saying "You must provide proper values for the highlighted fields" will appear at the top of the submission form.
Please note that if you are using Firefox or Safari browsers, this problem will not occur.
Our apologies for the technical issue. If you have questions or have any problems submitting a referral submission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (306) 966-7113. Thank you for your patience!
About Referral Cases
The WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre serves as the referral centre for all veterinarians who practise across Western Canada.
Laboratory files and/or radiographic images can be attached to your online submission.
- Dentistry referral form
- Equine standing MRI referral form
- Medicine referral form
- Medicine-surgery referral form (exotic pets, zoo animals and wildlife)
- Neurology referral form
- Nutrition referral form
- Oncology referral form
- Ophthalmology referral form
- Rehabilitation referral form (rehabilitation, acupuncture and laser therapy services)
- Surgery referral form
Referrals of veterinary dermatology cases
The WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre does not have a board-certified veterinary dermatologist on staff at this time. Veterinarians are welcome to refer dermatology-related cases to the VMC, but please note that these cases will be managed by members of the hospital's medicine team — not by a veterinary dermatologist. If this situation changes, we will make sure to post an update and inform all referring veterinarians.
We are staffed by faculty who have teaching, research and additional responsibilities. Referral cases must be seen by the clinicians on duty rather than by a specific faculty member. This is the case even if you have spoken to a specific faculty member and they have encouraged you to refer the case to the Veterinary Medical Centre.
If your client is scheduling the appointment, please ask your client to let our staff know that this is a referral appointment. We will ask for:
- the referring veterinarian's name
- the name and address of the referring veterinary clinic
- a completed online referral form (see above). Radiographic images and/or laboratory files (in jpeg or PDF format) can be attached to your online submission.
As the patient's referring veterinarian, you will receive a final written report after the case is discharged from the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre.
Referring Emergency Cases
If a referred patient is an emergency case
- Send your patient and client on their way to the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre.
- Call the appropriate clinic to provide more details and your client's estimated arrival time.
- Complete the appropriate referral form.
Please inform your client that the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre will charge emergency fees.
If a specialty clinician is unavailable, a clinical intern or a resident (under a senior clinician's supervision) will accept the referred emergency patients.
Notices for Veterinarians