About Referral Cases
The WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre serves as the referral centre for all veterinarians who practise across Western Canada.
Online Referral Forms
The WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre's online referral process has been upgraded.
Click the green button below to begin the referral submission process.
Questions or problems? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Laboratory files and/or radiographic images can be attached to your online submission. Here's a list of the types of referrals that the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre can accept:
- Equine standing MRI
- Medicine-surgery (exotic pets, zoo animals and wildlife)
- Rehabilitation (rehabilitation, acupuncture and laser therapy services)
Referrals of veterinary dermatology cases
The WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre does not have a board-certified veterinary dermatologist on staff at this time. Veterinarians are welcome to refer dermatology-related cases to the VMC, but please note that these cases will be managed by members of the hospital's medicine team — not by a veterinary dermatologist. If this situation changes, we will make sure to post an update and inform all referring veterinarians.
We are staffed by faculty who have teaching, research and additional responsibilities. Referral cases must be seen by the clinicians on duty rather than by a specific faculty member. This is the case even if you have spoken to a specific faculty member and they have encouraged you to refer the case to the Veterinary Medical Centre.
If your client is scheduling the appointment, please ask your client to let our staff know that this is a referral appointment. We will ask for:
- the referring veterinarian's name
- the name and address of the referring veterinary clinic
- a completed online referral form (see above). Radiographic images and/or laboratory files (in jpeg or PDF format) can be attached to your online submission.
As the patient's referring veterinarian, you will receive a final written report after the case is discharged from the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre.
Referring Emergency Cases
If a referred patient is an emergency case
- Send your patient and client on their way to the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre.
- Call the appropriate clinic to provide more details and your client's estimated arrival time.
- Complete the appropriate referral form.
Please inform your client that the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre will charge emergency fees.
If a specialty clinician is unavailable, a clinical intern or a resident (under a senior clinician's supervision) will accept the referred emergency patients.
Notices for Veterinarians