Updated March 19, 2020
In response to the COVID-19 situation, the WCVM Veterinary Medical Centre (VMC) is only open to emergencies, urgent cases and cases already under treatment.
These changes in the veterinary teaching hospital allow us to protect the health and safety of staff, students and clients while maintaining high-quality care for our patients.
The VMC is also following a stringent admission/discharge protocol to minimize contact between clients and members of the clinical team members and to prevent the spread of infection.
Before coming to the VMC
Because the situation is changing daily, please call ahead to the Small Animal Clinic (306-966-7126) or the Large Animal Clinic (306-966-7178) before bringing animals to the WCVM.
We are making efforts to minimize the contact between animal owners and members of the WCVM clinical team to help maintain a safe environment for everyone. As part of this process, our receptionists are calling VMC clients in advance of their appointments. The receptionist will ask if you have recently travelled or if you are showing signs of respiratory illness.
If you answer yes to one or both of these questions and your animal's health is stable (non-emergent), we will ask if the appointment can be rescheduled.
If you answer yes to one or both of these questions and this is an emergent case, we will ask if someone else can bring in your animal to the VMC.
To minimize the contact between animal owners and members of the WCVM clinical team, please be aware of additional measures that are in place at the VMC:
- Remain in your vehicle when you arrive at the VMC. Please call a VMC reception desk for further instructions (Small Animal Clinic: 306-966-7126 or Large Animal Clinic: 306-966-7178).
- Do not enter the VMC building unless you are bringing in an emergency case to the hospital.
- All appointments must be made by telephone (not in person). Please call ahead to alert the VMC team about incoming emergency cases.
- You can not be present for your animal's physical examination unless your animal is scheduled for humane euthanasia.
- Visiting of in-hospital patients is limited to animals in serious condition and assessed on a case-by-case basis.
- The VMC will not accept payment by cash. Clients must use credit or debit options. VMC staff are cleaning the hospital's payment terminals after each use.
- Please order pet food and medication 24 hours in advance. Payment by phone is strongly encouraged.
Thank you for your understanding and co-operation.
Pet food sales
- As of March 19, clients may only purchase one bag or case (per type) of pet food during each visit.
- Clients must give 24 hours' notice for regular pick up of pet food.
- For special pet food orders, clients must order well in advance (10 to 14 days) before pick up.