Pets find a foe in foxtails
Foxtail barley (foxtail) is a type of perennial grass native to the Prairies. It grows across Canada and typically matures in July. Animals, especially dogs and horses, are prone to eating the spiky grass, which can cause respiratory problems or more serious issues. The grasses have spiky barbs that tend to get stuck in fur. Pets can ingest these barbs when licking their skin or if they eat the grass, and barbs can then get caught in the throat or even travel elsewhere inside the body.
If pets are retching, gagging or hard swallowing, it’s a good idea to have them seen by a veterinarian. To prevent injuries, pet owners can brush and check ears and paws after being outdoors, keep pets on a leash or use a netted muzzle or field guard.
Click here to read the full story.